Sunday 12 June 2016

Richard Feynman and 'the pleasure of finding things out'

Over the years I’ve often referenced Richard P Feynman (1918-88) on social media as an example of true scholarship. Here I’ve collected together some famous quotes alongside key resource material.

He was a theoretical physicist who won a Nobel prize - but that was probably the least interesting thing about him. He had a reputation as a great teacher and thinker despite writing almost nothing - the many books about him have been compiled by others. Since his death his reputation has continued to grow, and since the beginning of the Web an ever increasing amount of information about him has become available. Google him.

(attribution unknown)

(attribution unknown)


A few quotes about acquiring knowledge, later some about aspects of teaching and learning.

‘…I have a friend who's an artist and he's sometimes taken a view which I don't agree with very well. He'll hold up a flower and say, "Look how beautiful it is," and I'll agree, I think. And he says - "you see, I as an artist can see how beau­tiful this is, but you as a scientist, oh, take this all apart and it becomes a dull thing." And I think that he's kind of nutty. First of all, the beauty that he sees is available to other peo­ple and to me, too, I believe, although I might not be quite as refined aesthetically as he is; but I can appreciate the beauty of a flower. At the same time I see much more about the flower than he sees. I can imagine the cells in there, the complicated actions inside which also have a beauty. I mean it's not just beauty at this dimension of one centimeter, there is also beauty at a smaller dimension, the inner structure. Also the processes, the fact that the colors in the flower evolved in order to attract insects to pollinate it is interesting -  it means that insects can see the color. It adds a ques­tion: Does this aesthetic sense also exist in the lower forms? Why is it aesthetic? All kinds of interesting questions which shows that a science knowledge only adds to the excitement and mystery and the awe of a flower. It only adds; I don't un­derstand how it subtracts…’ (Feynman 1999c:2)

‘In general we look for a new law by the following process. First we guess it. Then we compute the consequences of the guess to see what would be implied if this law that we guessed is right. Then we compare the result of the computation to nature, with experiment or experience, compare it directly with observation, to see if it works. If it disagrees with experiment it is wrong. In that simple statement is the key to science. It does not make any difference how beautiful your guess is. It doesn’t make any difference how smart you are, who made the guess, or what his name is - if it disagrees with experiment it is wrong. That is all there is to it.’ (Feynman 1965:156)

‘…If you expected science to give all the answers to the won­derful questions about what we are, where we're going, what the meaning of the universe is and so on, then I think you could easily become disillusioned. I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. …I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things…but I don't have to know an an­swer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing.’ (Feynman 1999c:24-25)

Key themes from his life and work were; living with uncertainty (as in the above quote), theory and practice as repeating aspects of the same process (the second quote), reasoning from first principles (safecracking at Los Alamos, first photo), the pleasure of finding things out (see below), active irresponsibility (the second quote below and  the second photo from the Challenger disaster investigation), finally nobody knows how to teach (last quote).

‘…I don’t like honors. I appreciate it for the work that I did, and for people who appreciate it, and I know there's a lot of physi­cists who use my work, I don't need anything else, I don't think there's any sense to anything else. …I’ve already got the prize. The prize is the pleasure of finding the thing out, the kick in the discovery, the observation that other people use it - those are the real things…’ (Feynman 1999c:12)

‘To do high, real good physics work you need absolutely solid lengths of time, …it needs lots of concentration - that is solid time to think - and if you’ve got a job in administration anything like that, then you don’t have the solid time. So I have invented another myth for myself - that I’m irresponsible. I tell everybody, I don’t do anything. If anybody asks me to be on a committee to take care of admissions, no, I‘m irresponsible, I don‘t give a damn about the students - of course I give a damn about the students but I know that somebody else’ll do it - and I take the view, “Let George do it,” …I do that because I like to do physics and I want to see if I can still do it, and so I’m selfish, okay?’ (p.19-20)

‘All those students …how should I best teach them? Should I teach them from the point of view of the history of science, from the applications? My theory is that the best way to teach is to have no philosophy, is to be chaotic and confuse it in the sense that you use every possible way of doing it. That’s the only way I can see to answer, so as to catch this guy or that guy on different hooks as you go along…’ (p.20)

(photo by Nick Hewling)


References and Resources

Feynman, R.P (1985) ‘Surely You’re Joking Mr. Feynman!’ Adventures Of A Curious Character Vintage: London (Stories originally told to, and recorded by Ralph Leighton, including the safecracking story.)

Feynman, R.P (1990) QED: The Strange Theory Of Light And Matter Penguin: London (Transcribed introductory lectures on particle physics given in 1982.)

Feynman, R. P (1992) ‘What Do You Care What Other People Think?’ Further Adventures Of A Curious Character Grafton: London (Stories originally told to, and recorded by Ralph Leighton.)

Feynman, R.P (1994) The Character Of Physical Law Penguin: London (Based on introductory physics lectures recorded by the BBC in 1965. Some short extracts on YouTube.)

Feynman, R.P (1998) Six Easy Pieces: The Fundamentals Of Physics Explained  Penguin: London (Basic readings taken from The Feynman Lectures on Physics delivered to Caltech undergraduates in 1961/2 and 1962/3, only later worked-up into books using student’s notes!)

Feynman, R,P (1999a) Six Not-So-Easy Pieces: Einstein’s Relativity, Symmetry, and Space-Time Penguin: London (More involved readings from The Feynman Lectures on Physics delivered to Caltech undergraduates in 1961/2 and 1962/3, only later worked-up into books using student’s notes!)

Feynman, R, P (1999b) The Meaning of It All Penguin: London (transcriptions of lectures on science in general.)

Feynman, R.P (1999c) The Pleasure Of Finding Things Out Penguin: London (Based on interview for BBC Horizon in 1981)                                                                             

Feynman, R.P (2006) Don’t you have time to think? Penguin: London (Letters edited by his daughter Michelle.)

Gleick, J (1994) Genius: Richard Feynman and modern physics Abacus: London (Biography)

Leighton, R (1993) Tuva or Bust! Richard Feynman’s Last Journey Penguin: London 
                                                                             
Online:

‘Richard Feynman’ Wikipedia page (note the External Links available, and when the page was last modified!)

Feynman Online! Website dedicated to his memory

The Fantastic Mr Feynman (TV documentary using material from The Pleasure of Finding Things Out plus interviews with other key figures)

Who'd have thought? (2.9.2019)

No comments:

Post a Comment